Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Let's Play This, with Distortion

Tonight was rehearsal night again with the boys. I'm known for being a hard ass at band practice and my friends still make fun of me for how serious I am behind the mic but lately I've been trying to tone it down and just let things work themselves out. I never thought I'd say this but it seems that chillin' out has it's advantages. My drummer, Darious, picks up the music more organically, Dillon writes better lead lines, and Kenny kills those bass lines. It also amazes me how the guys remember songs better when I just shut the fuck up and allow them to create. Definitely taught me a valuable lesson I wish I could have had about six years ago.

Well let's see hear what else is going on...

So I got added into this facebook group that has a bunch of local show listings so I'll be able to see who's looking for supporting acts on a date and which places have open dates available. Very cool. This shit is pretty dope if I do say so. If I can't get a show now, then I think it's time to hang up the guitar.

Unrelated to our little band, I was practicing a Giuliani's Etude for guitar op. 51 no. 15 and it's pretty fucking cool. I would really like to turn this into a song. There are two voices that are interacting and creating harmonies so it wouldn't be to hard to just separate them for the two guitar players and write a third line and some words to make this into a modern tune.

Free Jazz!

So the coolest thing we did today happened during the last thirty minutes of practice. I played some tracks off of Four MFs Playin' Tunes, last year's release from Branford Marsalis Quartet for the guys and said "Let's play this, with distortion" and so that's what we did.

|| C-7 | Bb-7 Eb7 | Abmaj7 | Abmaj7 || in three was a pretty fun way to get our first Jazz/Rock fusion tune. Dillon stopped at one point and recorded about seven seconds of footage. Unfortunately, seven seconds isn't really worth posting anywhere so I guess we'll try to get something next week.

I love music

Stammerings

No comments:

Post a Comment